Thursday, August 14, 2008

Peanuts

I’ve been thinking for some time now that I should eat more peanuts. Usually I’ll snack on cashews, sitting up late at night just casually munching my way through a packet while watching TV or working online. But for some reason, maybe its just to make a change of pace, I feel more like changing my snacking of choice to peanuts.

I’m actually thinking about keeping a container of peanuts, or even mixed nuts, on my desk at work so that I can nibble throughout the day. As long as there aren’t any people around with peanut allergies I should be okay – not that you hear about too many adults with severe allergic reactions to peanuts.

I find peanuts, well, all nuts in general, are a great healthy way to graze throughout the day. I’m pretty active – I do a lot of running, so I find that I need a constant intake of energy to keep me going. Basically, I’m always hungry because my internal furnace is running hot. My lunch time runs of 10km or more means that I’m ready for a fairly substantial lunch when I’m finished, which often doesn’t satisfy my hunger completely. If I’m not eating peanuts or apples or some other fruit, I’d be eating a chocolate bar and as much as I’d like to do that, I really shouldn’t.

See, now that I’ve been talking about eating peanuts at my desk at work, the craving has grown even stronger which is rather annoying because I don’t actually have any peanuts on me and I’m about to head out for a run.

No comments: